HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Antigone Prereading Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
UberOwnage666
Co-admin

PostSubject: Antigone Prereading Questions   Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:52 pm

1. Do you think people should be obliged to obey laws even if they don't agree with them? Why or why not?

2. Are stubbornness and pride admirable qualities? Explain. Think of a situation in which two equally
proud and stubborn people came into conflict. What happened?

3. From your experience, do most people find it easy or difficult to admit they've made a mistake? Is admitting
to a mistake a sign of strength or weakness in contemporary society? Explain.

4. Do you believe in fate, or do you think people are responsible for the good and bad things that happen
to them? Explain your response.

5. Is there a "correct" solution to every problem in life, or do some problems defy solutions? What real life
examples can you think of to support your opinion?

6. Do you think wisdom comes at the cost of suffering, or can people become wise without experiencing
adversity? Explain.

7. How responsible do you feel for your family members? Do you think family members should risk danger or even death for one another? Explain your responses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CHRISTYINALOVE3

PostSubject: Re: Antigone Prereading Questions   Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:20 pm

1. I THINK THEY SHOULDN'T BECAUSE IF THEY DON'T AGREE WITH THEM, THEN THEY SHOULD HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RULES AT ALL.

2. STUBBORNNESS IS NOT AN ADMIRABLE QUALITY CAUSE BEING STUBBORN IN NOT GOOD. PRIDE IS AN ADMIRABLE QUALITY CAUSE YOU NEED TO BE PROUD IN WHATEVER YOU DO. IF YOU HAVE A PERSON WHO CAN BE STUBBORN AND PROUD, THE PRIDE WILL OVERCOME HIM, SINCE THAT IS THE ONE TO DEPEND ON.

3.FROM ALL MY EXPERIENCES, MOST PEOPLE HAVE TROUBLE TRYING TO CONFESS THAT THEY HAVE MADE A MISTAKE. ADMITTING A MISTAKE SHOWS THAT YOU HAVE A WAY TO BE STRONG AND YOU CAN CONFESS ANYTHING.

4. PEOPLE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CHOOSING THEIR OWN FATES. NO ONE CAN FORCE A PERSON TO TELL THEM WHAT TO DO. IT'S THEIR CHOICE AND THEY DON'T KNOW IF THEIR CHOICE IS A GOOD CHOICE , OR WILL THEIR CHOICE BE A DISASTER.

5.MOST PROBLEMS HAVE A CORRECT SOLUTION, BUT NOT ALL OF THEM. IF I HAD TO CHOOSE BETWEEN MY BEST FRIEND OR MY NEIGHBOR TO HANG OUT WITH, ONE CAN'T BE THE CORRECT SOLUTION.

6. WHEN YOU ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A CRISIS, THEN YOU SUFFERING WOULD CAUSE YOU TO GAIN MORE WISDOM. NOW YOU KNOW INFORMATION FROM THE EXPERIENCES YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH.

7.I FEEL EXTREMELY RESPONSIBLE FOR MY FAMILY MEMBERS. MEMBERS OF MY FAMILY SHOULD NEVER RISK THEIR OWN LIVES TO PROTECT MINE. SURE THEY ARE TRYING TO PROTECT ME, BUT I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE ANYONE.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babyboo22

PostSubject: Re: Antigone Prereading Questions   Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:06 pm

1) IN MY OPINION PEOPLE SHOULD OBEY THE LAWS EVEN IF THEY DON'T AGREE WITH THEM BECAUSE THEY'RE THERE FOR A GOOD REASON AND THAT IS TO HEPL AND PROTECT EVERYONE.

2) PRIDE IS A GOOD QUALITY BUT YOU ALSO HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TOO MUCH PRIDE,WHICH GOES FOR THE SAME FOR STUBBORNESS. IF TWO PEOPLE LIKE THAT CAME INTO A CONFLICT IT WOULD BE DIFFICULT TO COME UP TO A RESOLUTION BECAUSE IT WOULD BE HARD FOR THEM TO SEE WHAT THEY DID WRONG.

3) FROM MY EXPERIENCE MOST PEOPLE FIND IT HARD TO ADMIT THEY'VE MADE A MISTAKE BECAUSE THEN THEY WOULD FEEL WEAK. MY POINT OF VIEW IS THAT IF YOU ADMIT YOUR MISTAKE YOUR STRONGER THAN THE OTHER PERSON WHO WON'T ADMIT IT. THE REASON MOST DON'T LIKE TO ADMIT IT IN TODAY'S SOCEITY BECAUSE THEN THEY WILL BE PUT DOWN IN SOME WAY AND THEY WANT TO AVOID THAT.

4) I BELIEVE PEOPLE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE GOOD/BAD THINGS THAT HAPPEN TO THEM.THERE ARE CHOICES FOR EVERYTHING;ON THE OTHER HAND THERE ARE JUST SOMETHINGS YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN WHICH TURNS OUT TO BE FATE.

6) I THINK TRUE WISDOM HAS TO COME WITH SOME KIND OF SUFFERING BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T EXPERIENCE ANYTHING HOW CAN YOU BE WISE?HAVING WISDOM ISN'T ONLY BEING LIKE "BOOK" SMART YOU HAVE TO HAVE REAL EXPERIENCE WITH LIFE.

7) I FEEL VERY RESPONSIBLE IN MY FAMILY AND I WOULD RISK DANGER FOR THEM BUT NOT DIE. MY FAMILY WOULD ACTUALLY DISAPPOINTED IN ME FOR NOT CONTINUING MY LIFE WHEN I SHOULD;BASICALLY THEY WANT ME TO LIVE MY LIFE. IF I WOULDN'Y DIE I WOULD DO JUST ABOUT ANYTHING FOR MY FAMILY.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Inad9-J

PostSubject: Re: Antigone Prereading Questions   Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:13 pm

1. I think it depends on what it is. If its for the good they should be follow. Other than that, no.

2. No, i don't think these are admirable qualities because its easy to get into a fight. When two poeple are proud and stubborn they don't want to be wrong.

3. Yes, because poeple don't like to be wrong, and now that could be a weakness.

4. Am in between because you are responsable for the things that happen to them.

5. I don't think there's a "correct" solution to every problem. But it depends on what it is.

6. People can be become wise without suffering because they could know from other poeple.

7. Yes, because if you love them you would want to protect them.
[left]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babygurl24

PostSubject: Re: Antigone Prereading Questions   Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:15 am

1. I think people should obey the law because they were made to keep people safe.

2. Stubborness and pride are not admirable qualities because when someone is stubborn they may be determined but they don't listen and they get in trouble. When someone has too much pride then they become abnoxious and conceited.

3. Most people find it difficult to admit they've made a mistake. Admitting to it is a sign of strength because it shows your willing to face the truth.

4. I do believe in fate but I believe that people's fate may change according to the good and bad choices they make.

5. There isn't always a correct solution to a problem because lets say someone is being forced to do harm to their child or to their spouse. Either choice they make someone is going to get injured so no choice is correct.

6. I think wisdom can come from those who haven't had many experiences because someone can learn from people around them and mistakes others have made to help them become wiser.

7. I feel very responsible for my family because they have sacrificed so much for me so I would do anything for them because I know they would do the same for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
uriel20

PostSubject: Re: Antigone Prereading Questions   Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:29 pm

1) I do thing people are obliged to follow the laws even if they don't agree with them. Everybody must follow them because if they don't there will be a conflict between them.
2) I do think that stubbornness and pride are very admirable qualities. They show how people are and what can they do. Two people that are involved in this kind of situation are Creon and Oedipus for me. Creon because he is stubborn and Oedipus because he has pride after everything he has been throught.
3) I think people find it very hard to admit that they have commited a mistake. Most of the time this a sign of thier weakness and not strength.
4) I believe that people are responsible for their actions to what happens to them and to others.
5) I don't think there is a "correct" solution to every problem in life. There are some problems that no matter what you do it won't turn out to be good for anybody.
6) I believe that wisdom comes after you have suffer or witness some problem in your life. This would created wisdom of you.
7) I feel that I'm very responsible for my family. Every action I do affects them one way or the other. A family should be willing to risk everything when it comes to danger, even death.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Colombiankl
Rawrness in the making

PostSubject: Re: Antigone Prereading Questions   Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:51 pm

1) Yes, I do think that people should follow all rules, even if you don't agree with them. Rules were made for a reason, and like in Lord of the Flies, if people don't follow them, things can get chaotic.

2) Stubborness can be looked at two different ways, both negative and positive. It can be negative in the sense that somebody doesn't want to give up, even though when all is lost. It can be positive in the sense that somebody doesn't want to give up, even when all is lost. It makes sense if you think about it. How do you think that people suceed? These people are stubborn and they don't give up. Pride is somewhat different. Pride can lead to you being ignorant, or blind to the truth.

3) Depending on the person, admitting you made a mistake is different. Using the example above, if the person is stubborn and proud, they would have a hard time admitting they are wrong, since it is a sign of weakness in their eyes. In reality, admitting you're wrong is showing that you're able to accept you made a mistake.

4) I honestly do not believe in fate. I think people are responsible towards the things that happen to you, because every little thing you do has a concequence, and it will affect you.

5) Life is like an open ended question. There is not one correct answer to your problem. There are many ways you can "answer" it, and you will be judged accordingly. However, if you don't do anything to solve your problem, you'll never answer your open ended question.

6) Wisdom doesn't neccasarily have to come from suffering. I Think wisdom comes from your own experience in life, as well as the experience of others.

7) As much as I feel responsible for my family, when I think about it, risking my life for any of them would kind of be in vain. I don't think any of them want me to die for them, in much of the same way I don't want any of them to die for me. What I mean is, say I died for my mother, and ended up saving her. I'm sure she would be grateful for it, but what if she contantly regretted me dying for her, and that she should have died in my place. That's kind of mental torture, which is painful for everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ashelynxsunshine

PostSubject: Re: Antigone Prereading Questions   Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:51 pm

1. I believed that people are obliged to obey laws even if they don't agree with them. Most of the time those rules are there for a reason and by going against them you are just putting yourself in jeopardy.

2. I believe pride can be an admirable quality but not stubbornness. In a situation where a stubborn person were to come across a person with pride, the person with pride would overcome the other person.

3. From my experience, I think that people usually have a harder time to admit that there wrong. I persoanlly believe that admitting your wrong is a sign of strength because u are reconizing that you have made a mistake.

4. I believe people are responsible for the good and bad things that happen to them you make the choices that affect your life and your future.

5. I believe that do some problems defy solutions. For example, they are not like math problems in which only have one correct answer but like a science, english or even history problems in which answers can easily vary.

6. At some points, wisdom does not have to come from suffering but real experience. Once you experience something you are able to share yopur knowledge about that certain situation to others.

7. I believe to certain points you are responsible for your family like a younger sibling. For example, are ypu supposed to be responsible for like your father? Apparently not, because he is older and more experienced. I belive that family memebers should risk their lives for each other because I know that depending the situation I would.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Antigone Prereading Questions   

Back to top Go down

Antigone Prereading Questions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1